Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cure for Tantrums

 
My son has really bad tantrums.
 
He cries, he yells, he doesn't know what to do with himself. He doesn't want me to look at him, he doesn't want me to talk to him, but he doesn't want me to leave. I get down to his level and sit with him, but it can take a long time for him to calm down.
 
From what I've read, we are supposed to 'hug it out'. But to be honest, it just doesn't work for us right now. When I try to touch him, his tantrum escalates.
 
 If he is beyond it, he sometimes gets to a hyperventilating state and doesn't know how to calm himself down. What works for us is blowing bubbles! I let him blow bubbles, which encourage deep breathing, and he is able to calm down at least enough for us to communicate.
 
 
 
Anyone else have any tricks  up their sleves?
 
Emma