Thursday, September 20, 2012

Happiness Is...


This post is a wee bit out of the ordinary for me but I wanted to share my thoughts. These last couple weeks have been a whirl-wind of different things happening. Aud has been a little under the weather, I have been planning two major events in her life (baptism and 1st birthday), most of my amazing mum friends went back to work, I’ve had interviews and meetings trying to figure out what I am going to be doing in a month’s time, oh ya, I started my blog, and am writing for two other online blogs, and not to mention I still have my domestic duties like housework, cooking, and being the best mum I can be to my baby girl. Remember when I wrote that post about having me time, well I can honestly say this last little while I haven’t felt I could squeeze it in! We all have those moments right? Moments where a whole day, week, even an hour goes by and we wonder where it went, what we did? I think it only gets harder as we have families, get older, priorities change, goals get bigger. This post will be about a couple different things so stay with me because I’m feeling inspired this morning and I need to share it, you know my motto, sharing is caring!
Today I started to write a list, I should say a new list, because I have about 100 “to do” lists around my house, just waiting to be checked off. So today’s list consisted of everything I need/want ‘to do’ with no timeline. Included in that list- get out scrapbooking stuff, start scrapbook, organize front hall, organize closet, sort through Aud’s clothes, sort through pictures on computer, figure out stain remover for babies clothes, organize kitchen cupboards, pick up birthday invitations...you get the picture, a smorgasbord of things to do. Behind that list was another list of things to do for her baptism, pick up decorations, confirm guests, pick up cake, pick up catering, go to costco, decorate and set-up ect, ect...I can say I’m feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of work I have given myself for the last little while. I know you’re thinking what about Jon? Well he works, he’s the breadwinner, besides I love the man but he just learnt how to turn on a vacuum let alone be able to use it properly.
As women we automatically assume the need to be a multi-tasker even if it means putting ‘me’ on the back burner. If I were in an interview and they asked what my biggest strength is, that would be it, but it is also my biggest weakness. I take on a lot at once, I am a people pleaser so if someone asks me to do it I will, even if I have a million other things to do. It’s just the way I am. I like to make people happy, who doesn’t? These last few days I have had some major mood swings and poor Jon has been on the receiving end of those. You could say it’s stress, or exhaustion, or busy mummy brain, but I think I have figured out the root.
Happiness. As I’ve mentioned before I am a bubbly and positive person in life, I have lots of friends, a great family, a beautiful baby girl, I’m healthy, you know all the staples to leading a happy life. I guess some day’s I forget. Some days I let the moment’s of true happiness pass me by, forgetting to focus on the things that make me happy. I think as mums we can all relate to this.
I came across this blog I used to read that I had forgotten about in the shuffle of life. He writes about the 10 things that always bring happiness. I read through each one carefully and have hung onto every word. It was so soothing and inspiring to read. It just takes one moment, one action, even one post to read to bring you back to that place. I’m realizing that all these things I have to do, all the tasks I need to check off my lists, I’ll get to it. I know this post doesn’t quite jive with my others but I just felt the need to write about this. I’m going to leave you guys with one of the things he writes about in his blog:

“Focus on things that truly matter. The simple fact that you are even here, alive, on this planet is a divine miracle. You should not spend the time you have being busy, being miserable. Every moment you get is a gift, so stop focussing on unhappy things, and spend your moments on things that truly matter to your heart.”

If you would like to read more of my blog visit http://newmumontheblog.wordpress.com