Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A New LifeStyle


The week I found out I was pregnant I was also just 10 lbs away from my goal weight after being on Weight Watchers for about 7 months. I had lost about 50 lbs and just had a few more to go.  Although I was incredibly happy to know that in a few months I would meet the love of my life, it was a bitter sweet time for me. I was reading all over the internet women can gain anywhere from 15 lbs to 100 lbs while pregnant. Of course, I never thought I would be one of the women to gain more then 25. HA! Could have fooled me. I gained a total of 60 lbs while I was pregnant. I want to say it was all baby, but I think we all know that’s not true! I ate whatever I wanted (except for the  few things I couldn’t stomach or were off limits). I remember my doctor actually telling me at one point that when someone asks me if I would like another cookie, I should gracefully decline. If I had a nickel for every time friends, family, even people I didn’t know would say to me, “are you sure you’re not having twins?” or “she’s going to be one big baby!” I would be well on my way to riches. Needless to say I was determined to get back in shape and get my pre-baby body back, and even lose that last 10lbs I was so close to doing before!
As of August 1, 2012 I have lost a total of 70 lbs and counting. I will be writing a few articles on how I was able to reach my goals and share tips and insights that you may find useful. Please feel free to comment on any tips and tricks you may have, as well as any questions you’d like to ask.
First off I will start by saying I lost about 15lbs when I had Audrina on October 7, 2011. I remember going home and stepping right on the scale (not recommended) just because my curiosity got the better of me. After that day I promised myself I wouldn’t do that again until I was ready and dedicated to getting back in shape. That day didn’t come until January 1, 2012. I know it sounds so cliché to say my New Year’s Resolution was to lose weight, but it was! That day I signed up for Weight Watchers, again, and started my new lifestyle.
Which brings me to what I think is my most important tip, don’t call it a diet, it’s a lifestyle change. There’s just something about the word ‘diet’ that seems to deter people from starting and sticking to a healthy living plan. For me diets seem to be a short-term solution where as this was going to be a new way of living my life and hopefully help my partner to do the same. A lifestyle change doesn’t mean you have to go and throw out every cookie, every chocolate bar, every candy (yup, I have a major sweet tooth) in your house. It just means take the time to make better choices, and to take responsibility of the choices you make.
Don’t give up because you had a ‘bad day’ of splurging or a week of guilty pleasures. Just remember tomorrow’s another day and fresh start. There are definitely days I sit on the couch with a jar or nutella in one hand and a spoon in the other and of course I feel defeated after the first bite; but I never unsubscribed from my program or think that I failed because I’ve eaten all my WW points in one sitting.  I just make sure I a) Go for a walk and b) start fresh the next day with the mindset of “Ok I had a bad day yesterday, but today I’m going to make up for it and it’s going to be a fabulous day!” Believe it or not, I really do give myself that little pep talk, at least now I’m not talking to myself and have my wee baby girl there to smile back as if she’s saying “Way to go Mom!”

If you would like to read more about my new life please visit my blog at http://newmumontheblog.wordpress.com